March 31st is the deadline to enroll in Covered California. However, with many delays and changes during the initial implementation process of Obamacare, many wonder if this deadline will extend as well. Steve had the opportunity to shed some of his insights with the San Diego 6 news team in this interview.
Key takeaways from the interview include:
- The end of this month (March 31) is a hard deadline to sign up for insurance.
- If you start an enrollment application, you must enroll in Covered California by the end of March. An agent will help you through that process if you haven’t completed your application.
- If you are in the process of signing up for Covered California (have an application in process), you won’t be subject to individual the penalty.
- Covered California has raised premiums for grandfathered plans so much that they are squeezing people out of the individual plans.
- The number of people who have lost insurance vs. how many people who have signed up through the exchange is unknown.
- Medi-Cal (insurance for low income families) is expanding and there isn’t money to pay for that expansion.
- California will be funded until the end of 2015 by the federal government and then will be self sufficient in 2016.
Get signed up and don’t wait until the end of the month! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.